A medical equipment manufacturer turned to Flow Consulting for help when manufacturer’s Supply Chain leader left unexpectedly causing significant Supply Chain planning and execution issues.
Flow Consulting inserted a deeply-experienced Lean Supply Chain Executive into the Company for a period of three and a half months with the following remit:
- Take immediate control of the supply chain organization.
- Perform an operational risk assessment.
- Implement effective Lean Supply Chain processes to mitigate critical issues and stabilize priority operational processes.
- Recruit and rebuild the supply chain team.
- Prepare a go-forward supply chain strategy for the organization.
Within the first two weeks, the following was accomplished:
- Identified serious internal process/system/knowledge deficiencies inhibiting effective material planning and replenishment and inventory accuracy.
- Developed and implemented documented templates and processes to address supply chain process gaps to improve accuracy, control and consistency.
Within three months, the following had been accomplished:
- A visual Kanban replenishment process was put into place for 90% of the parts required to support the major product line at the site with the greatest material shortage.
- Re-established the Kanban replenishment tools and process for material replenishment of a second major product line at the other business site resulting in a 74% reduction in production ‘line down’ shortages and a 19% improvement to customer on-time delivery.
- Implemented accelerated resolution of all international supply chain issues currently impacting production as well as those projected to be an issue in the coming quarter.
- Initiated actions to qualify alternate sources for critical long-term supply risks.
- Identified critical configuration, training and execution issues related to BOM, WIP and INV transactions in the business system impacting inventory accuracy and effective operational performance. Also Flow Consulting assisted in developing a company-wide action plan and external IT system resource justification to drive long-term business operational improvement.
- Reviewed resumes, interviewed candidates, and assisted in hiring and overlapping with the new permanent supply chain leader.